Payroll News and Updates

Expand this article

Adjustments to Social Security Withholdings

January 25, 2012

Payroll has noticed that the State Controller's Office seems to have begun adjusting employees' social security withholdings that were over-withheld during the December 2011 pay period (issue-dated 01/01/12). We are unable to verify whose pay has or has not been adjusted, however, if you notice an increase in your pay due to your social security contribution changes, then you most likely have received your adjustment. If you normally do not contribute to social security (not contributing to CalPERS) then this message does not pertain to you.

"The Internal Revenue Service Notice IR-2011-124 requires employers to make any offsetting adjustments in the employees' pay for any Social Security tax that was over-withheld during January 2012 by no later than March 31, 2012. For the majority of employees, the State Controller's Office (SCO) will issue the adjustments within the January 2012 master payrolls (issue-dated February 1, 2012). All other employees will receive their adjustment, if applicable, via a separate payment. The adjustment payments should all be issued by February 29, 2012."

More information on the "Temporary Social Security Employee Tax Reduction" is provided in the Frequently Asked Questions section of the SCO Payroll Letter #11-023.

CSUSB Payroll Department

Expand this article

2011 Direct Mailing of Form W-2 Wage & Tax Statement to CSUSB "State" Employees

January 24, 2012

  • The Form W-2 reflects wages paid by warrants/direct deposit payments that were issued during the tax year 2011, regardless of the pay period in which the wages were earned.
  • The Form W-2 includes warrants/payments issue dated January 1st through December 31st of each calendar year. It contains all wages and tax information for an employee regardless of the number of State agencies/campuses for which he or she worked during the tax year. (Only one (1) W-2 is issued for each employee).
  • All W-2 forms will be mailed by no later than January 31st, directly from the State Controller's Office (SCO) in Sacramento, to the employee's mailing address on file with the Payroll Office as of the November pay period of the calendar year 2011. The SCO's office has communicated that it will begin mailing W-2's on January 20, 2012.
  • W-2s that are undeliverable by the United States Postal Service should be returned to our campus Payroll Office (Sierra Hall, room 103), based on our campus' return address on each W-2 form. Payroll will notify active/current employees' departments when undeliverable W-2s have been returned to us.
  • Departments will notify their employees to contact Payroll to retrieve their returned W-2's. Please bring your picture identification with you.
  • Employees, who do not receive their W-2's within a couple of weeks from when the SCO mailed them, may request that Payroll order a duplicate W-2 on their behalf (no fee required), providing the written request is received by Payroll prior to February 17, 2012
  • Employees who do not receive their W-2's by February 17, 2012, and did not request that Payroll order duplicate W-2's on their behalf, will be required to request duplicate W-2 forms directly from the State Controller's Office W-2 Unit at a cost of $8.50. Normally, during tax time, the SCO estimates a 2 – 3 week turn-around period. The sooner the request is mailed to the SCO's W-2 Unit, the quicker you will receive your duplicate. Payroll cannot request duplicate W-2's on behalf of employees after March 1, 2012.
  • Prior to requesting a duplicate W-2, please contact your local Post Office to see if your W-2 may be there.
  • Procedures for requesting duplicate W-2s can be found on the Payroll web site.
  • For more information concerning the Form W-2, please visit the CSUSB Payroll web site to find General Information concerning your W-2 Wage and Tax Statement.

CSUSB Payroll Department

Expand this article

Importance of Payroll Records

January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

As we begin a new calendar year (2012), Payroll would like to remind you of the importance of keeping your paycheck stubs and/or Direct Deposit advices for your personal financial records. The State Controller's Office is our campus paying agent and issues our only 'official' pay records that are available. Payroll does not receive copies of paycheck stubs or Direct Deposit advices.

Our campus is a member of the Work Number employment and income verification program. This is an excellent tool that employees can use to request their personal information. The Work Number provides non-confidential employment and income information to verifiers (banks, lenders, rental companies, etc.) and alleviates this workload from human resources offices. Through the Work Number program an employee can provide a verifier with employment verification or employment/income verification. The Work Number program assures that only approved verifiers can utilize the program. The employment and income information that is provided through the Work Number program is obtained from the State Controller's Office employment history database and updated biweekly.

CSUSB state employees that participate in the Work Number program can request a free employment data report once a year. The employment data report is a copy of the information the Work Number provides to verifiers. Employees can obtain the Employee Data Request Form at The Work Number Web Site and mail or fax the request to the mailing address or fax number on the form. The Work Number program will mail the employee(s) a copy of her/his verification information within fifteen days of receipt of the request. There is no cost to the campus or employees to participate in the Work Number program.

CSUSB Payroll Department