Payroll News and Updates
2014 Direct Mailing of Form W-2 Wage & Tax Statement to CSUSB "State" Employees
January 1, 2015
- The Form W-2 reflects wages paid by warrants/direct deposit payments that were issued during the tax year 2014, regardless of the pay period in which the wages were earned.
- The Form W-2 includes warrants/payments issue dated January 1st through December 31st of each calendar year. It contains all wages and tax information for an employee regardless of the number of State agencies/campuses for which he or she worked during the tax year. (Only one W-2 is issued by the State Controller’s Office for each “State” employee).
- All W-2 forms will be mailed by no later than January 31st, directly from the State Controller’s Office (SCO) in Sacramento, to the employee’s mailing address on file with the Payroll Office, or per the USPS database if forwarding addresses exist, as of the November pay period of the calendar year 2014. The SCO has communicated that it will begin mailing W-2’s around January 23, 2015.
- W-2s that are undeliverable by the United States Postal Service should be returned to our campus Payroll Office (Sierra Hall, room 103), based on our campus’ agency code printed on each W-2 form. Payroll will notify active/current employees’ departments when undeliverable W-2s have been returned to us.
- Departments will notify their employees to contact Payroll to retrieve their returned W-2’s. Please bring your picture identification with you to Payroll (Sierra Hall, room 103).
- Employees, who do not receive their W-2’s within a couple of weeks from when the SCO mailed them, may request that Payroll order a duplicate W-2 on their behalf (fee charged to campus), providing the written request is received by Payroll prior to February 17, 2015.
- Employees who do not receive their W-2’s by February 17, 2015, and did not request that Payroll order duplicate W-2’s on their behalf, will be required to request duplicate W-2 forms directly from the State Controller’s Office W-2 Unit at a cost of $8.50. Normally, during tax time, the SCO estimates a 2 – 3 week turn-around period. The sooner the request is mailed to the SCO’s W-2 Unit, the quicker you will receive your duplicate. Payroll cannot request duplicate W-2’s on behalf of employees after March 1, 2015.
- Prior to requesting a duplicate W-2, please contact your local Post Office to see if your W-2 may be there.
- Procedures for requesting duplicate W-2s can be found at the following web site:
For more information concerning the Form W-2, please visit the CSUSB Payroll web site to find General Information concerning your W-2 Wage and Tax Statement at http://payroll.csusb.edu/generalInformation/wageTaxStatement.html
January 1, 2015
Happy New Year!
As we begin a new calendar year (2015), Payroll would like to remind you of the importance of keeping your paycheck stubs and/or Direct Deposit advices for your personal financial records. The State Controller's Office is our campus paying agent and issues our only 'official' pay records that are available. Payroll does not receive copies of paycheck stubs or Direct Deposit advices.
Our campus is a member of the Work Number employment and income verification program. This is an excellent tool that employees can use to request their personal information. The Work Number provides non-confidential employment and income information to verifiers (banks, lenders, rental companies, etc.) and alleviates this workload from human resources offices. Through the Work Number program an employee can provide a verifier with employment verification or employment/income verification. The Work Number program assures that only approved verifiers can utilize the program. The employment and income information that is provided through the Work Number program is obtained from the State Controller's Office employment history database and updated biweekly.
CSUSB state employees that participate in the Work Number program can request a free employment data report once a year. The employment data report is a copy of the information the Work Number provides to verifiers. Employees can obtain the Employee Data Request Form at The Work Number Web Site and mail or fax the request to the mailing address or fax number on the form. The Work Number program will mail the employee(s) a copy of her/his verification information within fifteen days of receipt of the request. There is no cost to the campus or employees to participate in the Work Number program.
CSUSB Payroll Department